Which animal will likely kill you?


 
My 2020 resolution resolve my 2019 unfinished dashboard. This dashboard is one out of 3, that I started in 2019 and couldn’t finish either by boredom or distraction.



Something that probably none have noticed is that the vast majority of my dashboard published in Tableau Public are dedicated to animals, my visuals are always a pretext to bring awareness to animal causes. So, this provocative title and study is in reality a façade... but I do not want to spoil the ending.

This viz is not very long comparing to other works I have done, but the complexity was to give sense to the data. I add an additional worksheet to display the information (second workboork in the viz called “I want more”).

Try to guess which animal is the most dangerous!




I tried to add some fun into this dashboard, by using interactivity but also on this guessing part. Here I wanted that the reader could try to guess which animal was the most dangerous.
To do it you have to use one of my best new features : set action!

  • In column : I add the field animal
  • In row : I add two measures ATTR(1) e ATTR(0) in dual axis. ATTR(1) displays the drawing of the animal and ATTR(0) is used to display the user selección (here on the screenshot, the round appear full and red because it was selected by the user). 


First you need to create a set using the animal name, I called mine “suspect animal”

Then you add into color in ATTR(0) a calculated field, which will display a different color if the animal is IN our OUT the set.
if [suspect animal] then "red" END (another method consist to add the set directly into color).

To emphasize the selection I decided to also change the mark full round for a selected animal and just a circle for the other animals.



Of course you have to add a set action into the dashboard : action/change set value

Display the answer :


I also wanted to be able to display the solution when the user didn’t want to play (anymore). So, I created a viz in tooltip representing the top 3 when the user hover over the glass magnifier.

This viz consists on two measures one used to display the evolution (blue lines) and the other for the animal faces.

In column: the field  [Year]

In rows:
  •  I added [short name animal] to have three subdivisions ( cow – hornet – dog).
  • I calculated then the total number of deaths by animal { FIXED [short name animal]: SUM([Deaths by year])}, so I can display it near the animal face
  •  Then I added the measures SUM([Deaths by year]) twice, one in line and the other one using the animal field into marks.

  •  To avoid that the animal faces are displayed for every year, I added the function index() into detail on the second measures sum(deaths by year) and I have hidden the mark, which index value is higher than one.

The Data

As I explained at the beginning of the viz, the main challenge of this viz was to make sense to the data, that is why I explained my process and the data discrepancies into a second viz. I usually do that at work for methodology but I started to do that since some months now in my Tableau Public vizzes.





The dashboard can be found by click on the link : here

Interactive version :



I hope you enjoy it!!

Annabelle